Last Saturday's Fall Fair was special! It was wonderful to welcome everyone at the Campus Commons and Logan Loft.
(Photo credit: Joseph Edwards)
We are so grateful for the support of so many parents, students, alumni and alumni parents, and faculty and staff who volunteered their time and talents to make this community event a fun experience for all. We also appreciated the donations of books, kids' clothing and toys, wonderful baked goods for the Bake Sale, and cakes for Take the Cake.
Burgundy's Fall Fair 2018 again attracted hundreds of visitors -- including about 80 Burgundy alumni. The Fair is a great expression of what makes Burgundy special, and it's a great opportunity to support student financial aid. It takes many hands to help it all come together, and it would be impossible to thank each of the volunteers by name here, but Burgundy would like to give special recognition to a few below.
Fall Fair Co-Chairs Alex Rutherford and Darcy Katzin worked with me to orchestrate the many details involved and made sure the key volunteer positions were filled. Moley Evans, the Fall Fair Volunteer Coordinator, worked tirelessly to manage the call for volunteers.
Event chairs organized and implemented specific events:
- Alumni Reconnection: Michele McCabe
- Bake Sale: Rebecca Signer Roche
- Barnyard Visits: Ali Shepard '04
- Burgundy Mart: Shannon Chandler and Monique Baskin
- Entertainment: Alumni parents Chuck Weger and Paul Miller, Hannah Miller '15, and Cathy Manley
- Face Painting: John Dunbar
- Food Tent: Amy Heist and Eric Heist, who chaired the Fair in 2012
- Games: Nicole Thorpe and Lindsay Killick
- Kids' Closet: Arthur Carpenter-Holmes, Deedra Everett and Tovah Ravitz-Meehan
- Lemonade Stand: Elizabeth Lener
- Obstacle Course: Staffed and underwritten by the class of 2018; organized by alumni parent Mary Sexton
- PAAS Hair Braiding/Bracelet Making - Arlene Guevara and members of PAASPumpkin Painting: Lori Adams and Cathy Guertin
- Tot Lot - Catriona Macdonald MacCormack
- Used Book Sale: Dori Acevedo-Gonzalez, Jane Hanson, Katy Parente and Susan Murchison
- Take the Cake: Andrea McNicholas and Kate Westhoven
- Zombie Run: Preston O'Neil and Amy Walsh
- Fall Fair Class Coordinators recruited volunteers from each class:
- Junior Kindergarten: Kelli Emerick
- Kindergarten: Shannon Chandler and Megan McCormick
- 1st Grade: Terri Cofer and Wendy Adams
- 2/3 Classes: Alla Shaw and Joshua Will
- 4/5 Classes: Eliza Engle, Francesca Schlesinger, and Michelle Collier
- 6th Grade: Arthur Carpenter-Holmes and David Bowen
- 7th Grade: Julie Christoudoulou
- 8th Grade: Tracy Greer
We appreciate the hours of community service provided by students for various fair activities and for composting/trash duties near the Food Tent.
Thank you members of the Board of Trustees for greeting fair goers and helping to manage traffic at the entrance to Burgundy.
Faculty and staff took on a number of other roles on the day of the Fall Fair in many ways, among them the Ask Me team (staff members in neon vests) that answered questions throughout the day; ticket selling teams served at the Campus Commons and by First Grade. Several took photos: Christen Kinard, Joseph Edwards, Matt Goldman, Cathy Guertin, Sharon McCullough and Emily "EJ" Jonas '03.
Beyond volunteering, the following members of our community secured support from their businesses, helping us to raise even more money for financial aid:
- Dave Evans, alumni parent and owner of La Prima Catering, who along with his wife Teresa, brought his signature chili to the Food Tent for the 28th year.
- Alumni Parent Tara Lloyd, who again secured advertisements for the Fair in the Connection Newspapers.
- TorchlightHire LLC, owned by parent Heidi Parsont, provided overall support for Burgundy and the Fall Fair.
- Alumni parents Stephanie Babin and Michael Babin, who donated cupcakes from Buzz Bakery to the Bake Sale
- Doughnuts partially underwritten by Krispy Kreme.
Also deserving of special thanks are the members of various staff teams. Maintenance: John Murphy, Russell Boone, Gene Douglas, Holden Hoover '03, and Jerry Vaughan; Advancement: Michele McCabe, Christen Kinard and Matt Sahlin; Business Office: Kathy Miller, Jamie Dorrier and Kim Britton, and Technology: Joe Peacock and Matt Goldman. These teams put in many hours in the weeks leading up to and following the event, working in tandem to attend to some of the most important and behind-the-scenes details.
To everyone who was involved in the Fall Fair, please know that we all appreciate your help and dedication!